Many of us struggle to get all of the nutrients, vitamins and minerals that we need on a daily basis through our diets alone, so are increasingly turning to supplements to help give our bodies a boost.
With so many supplements out there to choose from, it can be confusing to know which supplements you may benefit from, so I’m going to give a weekly factfile so you can find exactly what you’re looking for.
Omega 3 is found naturally in oily fish such as salmon and mackerel, however for the highest quality blend of the three Omega 3 fatty acids – EPA, DHA and DPA, you may want to consider taking a supplement. Here are just some of the benefits you can expect…
- Decrease pain and inflammation – Omega 3 fatty acids can regulate your body’s inflammation cycle which can prevent and ease inflammatory conditions like arthritis, cystitis and prostatitis.
- Good for your heart – Omega 3’s have been proven to work wonders for the heart, helping to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, adding years to your life in the process.
- Improves brain functioning – For adults, omega 3 can improve memory, recall, reasoning and focus.
- Reduces depression – Not only do they make you smarter, omega 3s can also ease depression. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield, along with many other research studies, found that omega 3 fish oil supplements “alleviate” the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55).
- Increase Metabolism – essential fatty acids produce hormones that regulate digestion and insulin production. In addition to converting carbohydrates to fat, insulin reduces fat used for fuel, instead promoting fat storage. When people regularly consume omega-3 fish oil, insulin levels drop 50 percent lower, allowing individuals to use fat for energy.
Lose more weight – according to Australian research, people who take omega-3 fish oil and exercise moderately lose more weight than people who exercise, but don’t use fish oil. The theory is that fish oil improves blood flow to muscles, which increases the benefits of exercise. With fish oil and 45 minutes of exercise three times a week, the body burned more fat calories than people who just did the exercise.
Increases fertility – Studies show that infertility is directly related to the amount of fish oil you consume. Fish oil balances hormones, improves hormonal levels and increases blood flow to the uterus.
These are just a few of the health benefits you can expect from Omega 3 fish oils, so as you can tell it may be beneficial to add these to your diet! An ideal daily dose is 1000mg to maintain a healthy heart and support optimal brain and immune system functioning. I recommend Health Span Omega 3 1,000mg capsules – you just need to take one capsule daily.
Do you take Omega 3 Fish Oils?