As I explained yesterday, I’m going to try and start blogging weekly recipes to munch that are healthy, affordable and quick – Credit Munch!
My first recipe is for Spinach and Feta Gozleme, the traditional Turkish pancakes. I became a little obsessed with these on my holiday as there was a dedicated Gozleme tent at my hotel, so I knew I had to recreate these at home.
Gozleme require only a few ingredients and are surprisingly easy to prepare, you could feed four people for less than a fiver!
Spinach & Feta Gozleme
- 250g self raising flour
- 200g plain/greek/soy yoghurt
- 120g feta cheese
- 100g spinach
- Spring onions
- Pinch salt
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Mix together the yoghurt and salt in a large mixing bowl until smooth
2. Gradually fold in the flour and stir until the mixture forms a stiff dough
3. Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough is soft and slightly sticky
4. Transfer into a clean bowl, cover and leave to stand for 30 minutes
5. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece until dough is thin and flat
6. Sprinkle spinach, feta and spring onions over half the dough and season
7. Fold dough over to form half circle, seal and press edges with fork. Repeat as necessary.
8. Preheat frying pan. Brush one side of gozleme with olive oil and cook until the base is golden. Turn gently and repeat on other side
Serve with side salad and enjoy!
NB: This recipe can be made dairy free if you use soy yoghurt (I used Alpro Plain Soy Yoghurt) and substitute the feta. It can also be gluten-free if you substitute the flour. You could try other fillings if you wish, the dough would also work well with sweet fillings.
Let me know if you try these out!