Remember when I said that I was going to start a weekly recipe series of healthy and affordable meals? Yep, my Credit Munch series never really took off, but I’m back with a delicious and healthy tomato and watercress soup recipe.
A good source of calcium, iron and vitamin C, this soup takes less than half an hour to make and will serve four for less than a fiver. Now that’s Credit Munch at its best.
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 100g watercress
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Finely chop the onion and garlic then saute in one tablespoon of olive oil until softened
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer gently for a few minutes until boiling
- Mix one teaspoon of vegetable stock ( I used Marigold Bouillon Powder) with around 100ml freshly boiled water and stir into the soup
- Stir in the spinach and watercress and leave to simmer for another minute or two
- Transfer the soup to your blender and whizz until smoother.
And you’re done! Serve hot with a couple of oatcakes or a slice of wholegrain bread and enjoy!
Let me know if you give this a try!